Thursday, March 28, 2013

INTERNSHIP COMPLETE!


Yesterday gave my drawing lesson, as well as reading Mo Willem's "Pigeon find a Hot Dog". When I arrived at 1030, there was a preschool there, thinking the story time was then. 5 kids  were milling around, going through books in the children's section. I brought in my easel, a drawing pad, and sat down at a table with them and we went to work. Just dived right in.
   First, I told them that most cartoon characters start with a circle. We warmed up just drawing lots of circles, covering out paper with circles. The kids grabbed pencils and went to work. Then we drew a piggy, then a dog (I drew a boxer for them, but one li'l girl thought it looked like a bear. She had never seen a boxer before!), then a spider! They went through a lot of paper, and were totally engrossed in what they were doing.
   The teacher was grateful I took the time to sit with the kids. Then more kids and their mothers (or grandmother and one dad) showed up. I read the story, and the kids loved it. A couple said they had read the book before, one said it's in her school "liberry"! Then the first group had to return for lunch and a nap (I envy them!) and then another group of four, including older girls (I think they were about 5-6 years old). I gave them a little bigger lesson, since they could handle talk of volume in the circle.The two year olds were just off on their own, filling the page with scribbles. One adorable girl, very calmly would say my name, then say she was drawing a heart, and some Easter flowers.
   When the lesson was over, I gave the kids copies of an old Mickey Mouse model sheet I had downloaded, showing his construction. I thought that would be nice for them, and the older girls really liked it, but the younger ones didn't really understand it. One little girl announced, "I don't like Mickey Mouse. If you had some princesses I would want one."
   A great success! Now I have to put together the multimedia report. But for now, I have group projects to tackle!


No comments:

Post a Comment